Studio Policies 2020-2021
What Ages Do You Teach?
* I teach ages 6 (completed 1st grade) and above, depending on the student’s readiness to take piano lessons.
* Lessons are offered weekly in either 30, 45, or 60 minutes in length.
30 minute lessons: Best for Beginner - Early Intermediate Piano Students
(Level Primer - Level 1)
45 minute lessons: Best for Early Intermediate - Late Intermediate Piano Students
(Level 2 - Level 5) Allows for Supplemental Music and advancing activities
60 minute lessons: Best for Advanced Students who want to fully immerse
themselves in a variety of pieces and activities
When and Where Are Lessons?
* Lessons meet once per week during the school year and follow the Fairfax Public School student calendar.
* Lessons take place at Westwood Baptist Church in Springfield, Virginia.
* Summer lessons are offered during a set group of weeks and are more flexible. Students may choose 5-7 dates from 7 offered lesson dates.
How Do We Enroll?
* Students enroll for one academic year at a time (September through mid June).
* New students may enroll at any time during the year.
* Students must complete a registration form, sign the acceptance of Studio Policies, and schedule a weekly lesson time.
* Participation in my studio indicates your acceptance of all studio policies and reserves your lesson time for the entire academic year from September through mid June.
What Kind of Piano and Supplies Do I need?
* All students need an acoustic piano or a digital piano. An acoustic piano is preferred because the sound and touch cannot be replicated by a digital instrument, but a digital piano is acceptable if it meets the following minimum requirements:
88 Weighted Keys and is Touch Sensitive
Bench of an appropriate height
Entirely self-contained or on a keyboard stand (not on a table or desk)
* A metronome or metronome app will be needed and should be used for at home practice only as assigned.
* A 2” binder is needed for assignments and should be brought to each lesson.
* Assigned method, literature and theory books should be brought to each lesson
What Do Students Learn in Lessons?
Lessons are taught in a warm, fun and encouraging environment and are tailored specifically to each student’s individual needs and goals. These personalized lessons include a variety of musical styles and activities, including:
*Learning to read music
*Playing music from different styles: classical, sacred, pop, hymns, jazz and more
*Understanding music theory, sight reading, and ear training
*Learning to compose music
*Using technology to enhance lessons
*Enhancing theory through games and music activities
*Learning about Music History and Composers
How Much Are Lessons? Am I Charged by the Hour/Lesson?
* Tuition for a semester is due and payable at the beginning of each month by credit card, cash or personal check.
* Tuition is based on the number of lessons per school year and is divided by the number of months in the school year. Tuition is exactly the same each month regardless of the number of lessons taken to help with family budgeting and studio billing.
* Piano Lessons will not be provided until payment is made at the beginning of each month.
* Tuition reminders for students will be emailed via Square approximately one week prior to the due date of each tuition payment. Payments received after the first lesson of the month will incur a $25 late payment fee per student.
* Students will need approximately 4-5 new books during the course of a year depending upon their rate of progress. The cost of books usually range from $5-$12 each. Piano books and materials will be provided as needed and charged to the student.
* A $25 charge plus any additional associated fees will be assessed for all checks returned by the bank.
2020-2021 Lesson Rates
30 minute lessons - $30 per lesson
45 minute lessons - $45 per lesson
60 minute lessons - $60 per lesson
What Is Included in the Monthly Tuition Payment?
* Weekly private lesson with Robin
* Time spent preparing for each lesson; creating, printing and making worksheets and games; and planning and preparing for recitals and performances
* Teacher professional experience and continuing education
* Piano, Studio, and Website Maintenance
* Studio supplies and student gifts
* Teacher digital music and theory subscriptions
* Studio piano rental and maintenance
Is Daily Practice Required?
* The best results come from consistent daily practice and you will receive the greatest benefit from lessons by practicing at least five days each week.
* If you practice the day of the lesson (immediately after the lesson) and the day following the lesson, you will retain the most information from the lesson.
* The amount of time each day spent practicing is not as important as the quality of time spent each day practicing. Students should practice a minimum of 5 days each week.
* I will provide a weekly lesson assignment sheet and write comments within the lesson books describing what and how to practice each week.
If We Miss a Lesson, Do You Offer Make-Up Lessons?
* An excused absence from a lesson includes sickness or death in the family. Students are allowed one make up lessons per semester (two per school year) during designated make up dates for an excused absence.
* Please notify me by text message (410-463-0231) ASAP if a lesson will be missed.
* Please do not come to a lesson if you are sick!! Students who arrive sick will be sent home and the lesson will be forfeited.
* Piano lessons missed for reasons other than sickness or death in the family or lessons missed without prior notification are considered unexcused. Unexcused lessons are not eligible for a make-up.
* All lessons that I cancel will be rescheduled.
* Inclement weather cancellations will follow Fairfax County Public Schools however may be altered if weather conditions allow. Online lessons may be offered as a substitute during inclement weather days.
* Several dates in the Studio Calendar have been reserved specifically to accommodate make up lessons for an excused absence.
* In the case of excessive absences, lack of preparation for lessons, or excessive discipline issues, I reserve the right to terminate lessons.
What if We Want to Quit Lessons?
* Enrolling for lessons reserves your lesson time and tuition payment for the entire year until lessons end in June.
* Withdrawal from lesson before the end of the school year requires 4 weeks written notice. There are no refunds for those 4 weeks of lessons.
Will There Be A Recital?
* All students are encouraged to perform in the two yearly studio recitals.
* Students also may be offered opportunities to perform in additional venues such as churches, events and recitals, and Festivals.
Is There Anything Else I Should Know
* Please be punctual for your piano lesson! Plan to arrive at least five minutes early for your lesson. Due to church security, doors to the church are locked at all times. Please text when you arrive at the church. I will come to the door to let you in a few minutes before lesson time. Because of the tight schedule, lesson times cannot be extended due to a late arrival.
* If you arrive more than five minutes early, please wait outside or in your vehicle.
* Due to church security, parents must remain at the church during lessons. There is a waiting area just outside of the lesson room.
* Come to lessons with clean hands and fingernails trimmed so that they do not extend beyond the fingertip.
* Cell phones and other electronic devices must be silenced during lessons so that they do not interrupt the lesson.
* No gum, food, drinks or candy are allowed in the studio.